[Mn-at-large] Weekly Update: June 17

NFBMN President via NFBMN-News nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org
Sun Jun 17 21:08:17 UTC 2018

Greetings, Fellow Federationists,
I hope everyone is having a happy Father's Day, whether you're
celebrating, being celebrated, or something else. My own father
insisted that I get involved with athletics at a young age, and I
spent 8 years in wrestling as a result. I wonder if he ever thought I
would parlay that into a late-night exhibition with Carlos Servan in
the middle of the banquet room at an NFB of Nebraska convention. I'm
guessing not.
Even so, thanks, dad.

National Convention
Thank you to everyone who responded to the email I sent last week
asking for volunteers to work the Independence Market. I received
great responses from many of you. There are still spots available, so
please email me if you would like to work a shift or two.
We have 85 Minnesotans pre-registered for the convention in Orlando,
which is fantastic! If you plan to attend, and you did not
pre-register, you will still be able to register at the convention. I
encourage all of you to consider joining us in Orlando. We're going
to have a wonderful time.

State Convention
Though we haven't signed the catering contract yet, we are in the
hotel's guest book in ink. Our 2018 Annual State Convention will be
held at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn in St. Cloud Minnesota. I
will send out an email when you can begin calling to register, but in
the meantime, mark your calendars.
The Kelly Inn was the site of my first convention as a Minnesotan
back in 2010, and I remember having a wonderful time. I look forward
to meeting with all of you in November.

Member Spotlight
We often talk, in personal conversations and speeches, about our
federation family. We share a common bond in our fight for true
equality, and that bond is made all the stronger by the fact that we
are all volunteers. I am struck, however, by how many of you I have
yet to meet.
If there is enough interest, I would like to feature a federation
member's story each week when I send out this update. If you would
like to share your story, please email me at
<mailto:president at nfbmn.org>president at nfbmn.org and tell us all a
little about yourself. The story could include where you're from, how
long you have been a member, what you like to do for fun, what your
job is or was, or anything else you think we would like to know.
To show that I'm a good sport, here's mine:

I was born in Nebraska in 1983, and I stayed there for 24 years
before hopping around the country a bit. I earned a degree in music
education from the University of Nebraska, but after finally getting
to teach high school during my ninth semester, I realized I enjoyed
performing in choirs much more than I liked teaching them. I have
taught Braille in Hawaii, sold Louis Braille commemorative coins
(remember those?) while living in Austin Texas, and taught
communications at BLIND Inc. I now work at Target as an accessibility
consultant.
In my spare time, I enjoy playing piano and guitar, listening to far
too many podcasts, and performing improv comedy. I have a cat named
The Cheat, and he is my buddy.

If you have any thoughts, questions, or suggestions you would like to
share, please don't hesitate to email or call anytime. Have a wonderful week!

Dates to keep in mind:
    * July 3-8: NFB National Convention in Orlando
    * August 25: BLIND Inc. Board of Directors Meeting
    * September 22: Annual Walk for Opportunity
    * November 16-18: Annual state Convention in St. Cloud

Warmly,
Ryan Strunk

Ryan Strunk, President
<mailto:president at nfbmn.org>president at nfbmn.org