[MN-at-Large] First Avenue Reconstruction Project Update Minneapolis

dandrews920 at comcast.net dandrews920 at comcast.net
Thu May 19 22:47:01 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-Metro <nfbmn-metro-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Steve Jacobson via NFBMN-Metro
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 3:25 PM
To: 'nfbmn-metro at nfbnet.org' <nfbmn-metro at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [NFBMN-Metro] First Avenue Reconstruction Project Update

The following announcement comes from Dan Ashman:

An update regarding the 1st Avenue reconstruction project and upcoming events for the public and the NFB of Minnesota members.

Public Meeting Information

On Wednesday, May 25th from 6:30 to 8:00 PM at Whittier International Elementary School - 315 West 26th Street, Minneapolis, MN, the City of Minneapolis - Public Works will be holding a public meeting to learn more about the 1st Avenue South reconstruction project spanning from Grant Street to Lake Street.

Resource Accessibility Update

Attached is the original .pdf from Public Works which will be used during the course of the public meeting. In an effort to maintain equal access to information, the .pdf has an accompanying text document which supports the .pdf in a more legible manner. Due to time constraints the .pdf's alt-text was not updated and as such reads in a disjointed manner.

Project Overview

The Minneapolis Public Works Department plans to reconstruct approximately 1.5 miles of First Avenue S, from Grant Street to Lake Street, including replacing the bridge over Midtown Greenway and railroad corridor. The project will evaluate improvements for all users, replace the aging pavement, and upgrade the temporary bikeway installed on First Ave in 2021 as part of the Whittier-Lyndale Bikeway Project. Project construction will likely start in 2024 from Franklin to Lake and 2025 from Franklin to Grant and is subject to change.

What is a reconstruction project?

The entire right of way (roughly understood as "city property" from sidewalk to sidewalk) is completely removed and rebuilt. We also use this as an opportunity to improve utility connections, such as sanitary sewer pipes, gas line connections, and other work.

How does the city currently design streets? What could the city change based on today's site visit?

The city relies on engineering requirements and specifications at the national and state level for many design standards. We also rely on the Street Design Guide which was developed specifically for Minneapolis. Many other policies exist, such as our Complete Streets policy, Vision Zero Action Plan, and Transportation Action Plan (TAP), that provide direction for our work. For example, engineering manuals designate the height for APS push button poles, and the TAP specifies that a protected bikeway is recommended for 1st Ave S. We also rely on community feedback.

In-person Site Visit

BLIND, Inc. will be holding an in-person site visit in conjunction with the City of Minneapolis – Public Works, MnDOT, and other applicable agencies on Friday, May 27th between 10:00 and 11:00 AM at the intersection of Hennepin and South 4th Street downtown. The intent is to highlight the combination of APS, bikeway, and tactile edge treatments on the Hennepin and 4th projects downtown, talk about the differences in application, and recommend on how we can improve our current practices for the upcoming reconstruction of 1st Avenue South. Please email Daniel Ashman at dashman at blindinc.org<mailto:dashman at blindinc.org> if you are planning on attending this in-person event.

Why are we here conducting a site visit?

The City of Minneapolis is rebuilding 1st Ave S from Lake Street to Grant Street beginning in 2024. As part of this work we have contracted with Blind, Inc for engagement and outreach services to inform stakeholder needs along the corridor. The goals for today are for staff, clients, and community members from Blind, Inc to learn about how and why the City makes certain design decisions on street reconstruction projects, and for staff from the city, county, and state to hear firsthand about the concerns that blind and low-vision street users have about street design. We hope to incorporate the feedback from today's event into the design for 1st Ave S.

Why are we visiting Hennepin and 4th St S? These streets are very different from 1st Ave S.

Hennepin and 4th St S are the most recently completed projects in the city that have bikeways at sidewalk height, a tactile edge treatment, and accessible pedestrian signals (APS). Hennepin features bike lanes on each side of the street with the bikes traveling the same direction as cars, whereas 4th St S has a two-way bikeway on one side of the one-way street. Hennepin has a tactile edge treatment that primarily serves to differentiate space between the pedestrians and the bicycles, whereas 4th St S has a tactile edge treatment that also provides some directionality. Both streets feature updates of APS and curb ramps.

What design features will we be paying particular attention to at the site visit?

We will be focusing on bikeways at sidewalk height, a tactile edge treatment, and APS (accessible pedestrian signals) and how all three of them interact.

--
Daniel J. Ashman, CLVT
Special Projects Coordinator

Mobile: (612) 547-9821
Phone: (612) 872-0100 x 232
Fax: (612) 872-9358

Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions, Inc.
100 East 22nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404