[MN-at-Large] What's Happening in Minnesota

dandrews920 at comcast.net dandrews920 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 18:38:37 UTC 2023

Hi Everyone,

It is hard for me to believe that we're already almost half way through
February of 2023. Although there has been a pretty steady flow of
information here, it has been a long time since there has been one of these
update messages. We have been keeping very busy as have many of you.

Day at the Capitol

On January 18, some thirty or forty of us visited over fifty members of the
state legislature to present our position on extending protections for blind
parents, improving our access to voting, and making our need for
transportation visible. In addition, we distributed in person our fact sheet
that outlines our positions to the remaining 150 members of the legislature.
In other words, we contacted in one way or another all 201 members of our
state legislature. In addition, we have had several virtual meetings with
legislators via whom we could not meet on January 18. I want to thank the
many students and staff of BLIND Incorporated who joined us. We have a lot
of work to do yet, though, so please watch for additional emails.

State Services for the Blind Budget Increase Request in Governor's Budget

Although it was not one of our three issues, we are watching other issues as
well. Minnesota State Services for the Blind has requested a budget increase
to ensure that Minnesota can receive all of the matching federal funds for
which we qualify, to increase the ability to serve seniors who lose their
vision, and to make much needed improvements in the Communication Center.
Their request is included in the Governor's budget and was prominently
mentioned last month. Clearly, we support this requested increase and we
will make our position known as this request progresses through the
legislative process.

Washington Seminar

Twenty-two of us went to Washington DC on January 30 through February 2 to
bring our three national issues to Minnesota's Congressional delegation. We
were scheduled to meet with representatives of all ten of the Minnesota
congressional offices, but one meeting had to postponed because the staff
person with whom we were scheduled to meet tested positive for COVID 19.

We were fortunate to meet in person with the new representative of the first
district, Brad Finstad. Our issues this year were passage of legislation to
guarantee access to websites and software applications, making future
medical devices accessible, and a gradual removal of SSDI benefits when one
earns more than the substantial gainful activity limit.  We are asking that
benefits are reduced by one dollar for each two dollars earned beyond the
SGA limit which is similar to how the SSI program has worked for decades. As
many of you know, if you currently earn even one dollar over the SGA limit
of $2,460 in a month, you lose all of your SSDI benefits. Our issues were
well received, but much work remains there as well. Again, we appreciate the
help we received from the students and staff of our training center, BLIND
Incorporated. We were also honored to have the two Minnesota teachers of the
Blind and Visually Impaired who spoke at our state convention with us as
well. They are participating in our national Teachers of Tomorrow program.

Scholarship Application Time is Open

We are right in the middle of the application period for our two $2,000
Joyce and Tom Scanlan state scholarships and our national program with
thirty scholarships. The deadline for national scholarship applications is
March 31, and you can get more information at
https://www.nfb.org/scholarships. Our state scholarship deadline is April
15, and more information is available on our website at
http://www.nfbmn.org/scholarship-program.

National Convention in Houston

It isn't too early to think about attending our national convention in
Houston Texas from July 1 through July 6. Get more information at
http://www.nfb.org/convention. We will be making available some assistance
to Minnesotans, particularly to those attending for the first time. More
details will be coming soon.

Minnesota BELL Program Next August

Remember that we are planning to have a BELL program here in Minnesota next
summer in cooperation with BLIND Incorporated. BELL stands for Braille
Enrichment for Literacy and Learning and it incorporates braille along with
other interesting activities to help make learning fun for our blind kids.
Our Minnesota BELL Academy will begin on August 7, but some scheduling
aspects are being finalized. However, please be on the look-out for children
who could benefit and give us the names of the parents of kids who would be
interested.

If you have questions about our BELL program, please contact Briley O'Connor
at brileyoc at gmail.com <mailto:brileyoc at gmail.com>  or contact me.

Dates to Keep in Mind

*	February 18 10:00 AM - Metro Chapter Meeting (watch for emails with
more details)
*	February 19 7:00 PM - At Large Chapter Meeting
*	February 28 7:00 PM - Rochester Chapter Meeting
*	March 4, 10:00 AM - NFB of Minnesota Board Meeting
*	March 9, 7:00 PM - River Bend Chapter Meeting
*	March 31 - National Scholarship Application Deadline
*	April 15 - State Joyce and Tom Scanlan Scholarship Application
Deadline
*	July 1-6 - National Convention in Houston
*	August 7 - Our Minnesota BELL Academy

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson, President

National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota

www.nfbmn.org <http://www.nfbmn.org/>

(612) 872-9363

Pronouns: he, him, his

www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/>