[MN-at-Large] [NFBMN-News] Join Events Next Week for a Discussion of BLIND, Inc., Our Building, and the Future of Training in Minnesota

ajzderad at midco.net ajzderad at midco.net
Sat Jan 13 18:31:51 UTC 2024

Hi,

               Will not be able to be present at the meeting to discuss the future of training services offered through the MN NFB affiliate, wanted to make some comments in light of the suspending of BLIND Inc. services.

               First of all, did attend BLIND Inc. for training.

               Here are some thoughts, now as a senior:

Paid Training & Hardware Support:

With the significant decline in support and services being offered through SSB, would appreciate having a call-in, and remote screen sharing access to my computer for a variety of software and hardware assistance.  Would even be willing to pay for this service.  If this would be an hourly rate,  a monthly, or annual fee subscription for a fixed number of hours, that would be a possibility.  Training through Freedom Scientific does not seem to work for me, since it is difficult to perform tasks while the training is in progress, and synchronizing tasks along with the tutorials is also difficult.

Hardware upgrades and installation would be appreciated.  This would be especially true for new system purchases are involved.  Again, if a fee-based approach is required, this may work.

Can a contract arrangement be made through SSB to provide funds and service for qualified clients of SSB?

Monthly Technology Forum:

               Having a technology forum to provide tips & tricks for common applications, or to encourage use of emerging apps would be a service to consider.  This could be as a one-on-one service, or as a group ZOOM session.  Again, offering this as a remote service, not requiring being at a location would be helpful.

    Do use APPLE and Microsoft disability help lines; but there may be niche for NFB support.

Thanks for your consideration,

Allen