[musictlk] (no subject)

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 15:45:53 UTC 2009

Ann,
    I am the Music Director for New Life Unity Church in Tampa, Florida. I
was asked to take the position by the minister who founded the church after
she heard me while she was the guest speaker at one of the other churches I
was working at. For about two years, I rotated between three churches who
did not have a regular musician. The offer from New Life Unity was the
result of the networking through this arrangement.
    As the Music Director, I know there are people in the congregation who
are also musicians. I invite them to join our music group and to do special
music from time to time. At the same time, i am pretty secure in my talents
and abilities, as I have been doing this for more than thirty years. Some
may not be as secure and their egos may be threatened by someone else's
talents, so they may not invite another to "share the spot light"! On the
other hand, they may not know that you are interested. You stated that "they
know {you} sing, but have never invited {you}". Have you been direct about
your interest or have you assumed they know you are interested? One
suggestion may be to be direct and make a specific suggestion. For instance,
Lent is coming up and you may have a particular solo that would be very
appropriate for the season. Try suggesting that you sing a particular solo.
Also, does your church record the services? If so, you may want to get a
recording of your solo and send it to other churches. Likewise, you may want
to put the word out to other churches within your denomination that yu are
looking for work either as a full-time Music director, a guest soloist, or
guest musician when the regular musician has the Sunday off! I have one
Sunday off each month and am responsible for booking others to cover for me.
    BTW, I am working with Renaissance Unity in Detroit to do a concert on
or around July 5 while I am there for convention. I am in the middle of a
recording project of New Thought music with a release scheduled for the end
of march to the middle of April. More details will follow. I would be
interested in networking with other New Thought/Positive Music entertainers,
if there are any on this list. I would especially be interested in hearing
from those of you affiliated with New Thought (Unity, Unitarian, Religious
Science, or Science of Mind) churches.
    If anyone has any interest in getting in touch with me off-list, please
feel free to write to me at
marion at MarionAndMartin.com
You can also hear clips of some of my commercial music (and samples of my
aforementioned recording project when they are released), read more about
me, and join my group distribution list by visiting my website at
http://www.MarionAndMartin.com

Fraternally,
Marion Gwizdala