[musictlk] Blind to Participate in National Day of Service

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 20:50:09 UTC 2009

Fellow Federationists,
    Below and attached to this message is information about the National Federation of the Blind's participation in the National Day of Service. This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate an important aspect of our philosophy: That the blind are able to participate on terms of full equality in every aspect of society, including organizing and participating in volunteer opportunities. Please take the time to read this information and consider either organizing an activity of your own or helping out with another's.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

The following information is attached to this message as a Word document.

National Day of Service

Please distribute the following message as widely as appropriate!

          President-elect Barak Obama has proclaimed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 19, 2009 as the National Day of Service. The goal is for MLK Day to reignite the American tradition of service and volunteerism across the nation. The National Federation of the Blind has asked me to organize an event for the National Day of Service to demonstrate to our community that the blind are capable of leading normal, productive lives, contributing to every aspect of society, including coordinating and participating in volunteer service programs. We are inviting blind and sighted members of the community to participate in our service event.

          The National Federation of the Blind will sponsor a clothing and personal hygiene products collection to benefit the Homeless Outreach program of New Life Unity Church. There are a number of volunteer opportunities available to the community. One need is the donation of items of warm clothing, blankets, and personal hygiene products, e.g., shampoo, conditioner, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine hygiene supplies, hand sanitizer, and soap. We also need volunteers to collect items from those who are unable to come to the collection location, as well as volunteers to receive, organize and package the items for distribution.

          Items can be dropped off and volunteers can assemble on January 19 from 9:00 am until 2:00 pm at

New Life Unity Church

13540 N. Florida Avenue

Suite 104

Tampa, FL 33613

(Just north of the intersection of N. Florida and Fletcher Avenues)

For more information or to volunteer, please contact

Marion Gwizdala

National Federation of the Blind

813-626-2789

president at blind411.org

For more information about the National Day of Service, you may go to

http://www.usaservice.org
If you come..

WHAT: National Day of Service

EVENT: Clothing & Personal Hygiene Products Collection

WHEN: January 19, 2009 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day & National Day of Service

WHERE: New Life Unity Church

              13540 N. Florida Avenue

              Suite 104

              Tampa, FL 33613

              (Just north of the intersection of N. Florida & Fletcher Avenues)

TIME: 9:00 am until 2:00 pm

For more information, contact

Marion Gwizdala

president at blind411.org