[musictlk] introduction and a question

Chris Westbrook westbchris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 17:01:37 UTC 2009

Hi.  I just joined this list.  I have been playing violin for a number of years, and recently started again with a new instructor.  I have learned by playing by ear up to this point, and my instructor would like me to start to learn Braille music to help communicate fingering, etc.  I tried to learn Braille music before, and it seemed like learning by ear was much faster.  What are some of the advantages for those of you who use Braille music?  If you are a violinist and learn by ear, are their any good sources of recordings of intermediate to advanced pieces recorded slow enough to be learned?  How have you mastered bowings, fingerings, etc?  I realize most fingerings are easily figured out, but I have had trouble figuring out bowings in the past.  Any suggestions?