[musictlk] introduction and a question

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Sat Jan 10 17:50:36 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

Welcome.

I can tell you that the biggest advantage to learning the braille
music code is that you don't have to guess at dynamics, length of
notes, accents, staccatos, bowings, and the like.  Recordings can be
helpful for interpretation.  You'll really have to work at learning
the code, and may be frustrated because it will seem to take longer
to learn a piece.  But using the music will be way more
accurate.  Don't give up on it this time.  The longer you wait to
learn it, the harder it will be to convince yourself that it's what
you need to do.  It's not hard, especailly because you're reading a
single line.  Double stops are written as intervals, and the bowing
would be in the music where necessary, of course.

I created a one-page braille chart of the basics, but the bowing
signs are not included.  I'd have to look them up, and could put them
in for you and send it to you, if that would be helpful.  Write me
off list if you're interested, and give me your snail mail
address.  Or I can send it to you as an attachment, if you have an
embosser or a note taker with a braille display.

Blessings,

Linda