[musictlk] introduction and a question

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jan 10 20:26:11 UTC 2009

Chris:

If you learn braille music:

The principal advantage of braille music is that you will be able to
observe the markings -- dynamics, phrasing and, yes, bowing -- indicated
by the composer or the editor and thus can make your own judgments as to
interpretation rather than being a slave to those of the person from
whose efforts you learned pieces by ear. Although learning by ear is a
good skill to know, I believe it's also essential (at least when
performing classical music) to be able to read the music yourself. In a
pinch, you can teach someone how to dictate the braille music to you.

And, as indicated, you get such niceties as fingering and bowings
without even worrying about it.

Mike Freeman