[musictlk] Choir-directing

Jessie Kirchner jckirch at umich.edu
Tue Feb 9 13:07:45 UTC 2010

Hi list,

	Has anyone ever led a small choir before?  I've been asked to direct my church choir this weekend while the director is away.  We usually range from five to ten members.  I did lead once before, but it consisted only in giving pitches, designating the correct musical settings for the day, and singing loudly enough to keep the tempo.  I'm totally blind and haven't studied conducting motions in any great depth yet.  It didn't seem to be a problem last time but i'm wondering if any of you have found them important.  If I'm not conducting, should I still stand facing everyone in case my pitching carries better?  There are a couple times when the director points out someone to chant alone, but I figured I could assign those ahead of time or have the assistant director point at people during the service.  I was also thinking of emailing the choir this week to see if they have any suggestions about what they'd like me to do, but since this is pretty new to them, they probably won't be much help.
	The director has no qualms whatsoever about my leading, which is very refreshing, but I'm a little nervous myself.  Any tips or reassurances would be greatly appreciated.  I do know a very talented blind choir director who hasn't needed to conduct much, but I think it's always good to learn from as many people in this situation as I can.

Thanks,
Jessie