[musictlk] [cross-posted] Summer Braille Music Institute in Philadelphia Invites Applications

Dancing Dots billlist1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 14:43:22 UTC 2010

Please direct all questions to Mr. Goldstein, the director of the National
Resource Center for Blind Musicians.  His program is excellent and I
recommend that any blind musician who meets the description below and who is
considering the study of music at the post-secondary level should apply.

Over the years, I have enjoyed serving David's program as a guest presenter.
There is always an abundance of positive energy and cooperation among the
staff and students.  David possesses a high level of organizational skills
and keeps his able staff focused.  He even brings the braille fortune
cookies!  Time for swimming, picnics on the lawn and an outdoor concert of
the Philadelphia Orchestra are built into the schedule.  At the risk of
sounding like a geezer: boy! I wish we had had something like this camp when
I was a kid!

***

Music students who read contracted English braille and who are in their last
years of high school or already in college are invited to request
applications for the National Resource Center's Summer braille Music
Institute.  The program will be held July 11-17 at the Overbrook School for
the Blind in Philadelphia.  Focused around developing ability to read
braille music and to submit theory assignments in print, this intensive
provides braille music practice catered to each student's needs, systematic
instruction in Dancing Dots' Lime Aloud and GOODFEEL software, and theory
classes which progress from basic concepts to harmonic analysis.
Applications have several steps, including submission of an audition, and
recommendation forms to be completed by teachers.  Final Enrollment is
limited to six first-time students.  Application deadline is May 5.  Further
information is at www.blindmusicstudent.org/summer_institute.htm
The best way to request an application package is to E-mail or call David
Goldstein, director of the National Resource Center for Blind Musicians.
info at blindmusicstudent.org or 203-366-3300, x229. Thank you.

***

Regards,
Bill