[musictlk] knowing the set list for a gig.

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Mon Jan 4 20:22:12 UTC 2010

Hi, Robert,

I've done a couple things: since I switch instruments, I can't  fix
my list to anything playable.  Here are a few things I've done:

- Park  the list on top of a less-frequently-used instrument like a
Djembe or other drum I don't use much.  I  pick up the list and put
in somewhere else for the djembe songs (often I sit on it!) and put
it back afterward.    Honestly, this is what I usually do although
it's not ideal.

- The music stand is a reasonable choice, too, but it always seems
like a waste of energy to me to lug a music stand somewhere just for
a list holder.  If the place I'm playing has music stands already
around, I have used one.  Make sure the list is heavy enough or tape
it in place;  I get in a hurry between songs sometimes and knock my
list away from me as I  reach for it.

- What works really well for me is this: put the list on sturdy
braille paper.  Tape the bottom of the list the the edge of the side
of your chair seat, dots facing out. .  This effectively hangs the
list upside down off the side of your chair.  You can then drop
your  reading hand down beside the chair and read the list.  You
might try other variations like using a clipboard off the side of the
chair.   this works well for me when there is more than a song title
I want to note.  If, for example, I have to remind myself which penny
whistle to grab or where a  capo goes or if there's a line of braille
music I want to remind myself of that I'll be singing.

- If I'm wearing a jacket with handy pockets, I  sometimes put the
list in a pocket if it's short  enough and  read it by putting my
hand in my pocket: not to hide the list... just so it stays put!

- I've thought about doing something fancy with a set of 3X5 cards on
a ring,  attaching the ring to something and then flipping cards over
as we do the songs, but I've never actually done this!

- All this said, the back of the instrument might be your best
choice.  If I didn't switch instruments, that would probably be what I'd do.

Peace,
Sheri