[musictlk] Notation Of Drum Kits --- Sticks Versus Brushes

Annabelle Susan Morison foristnights at comcast.net
Mon Jan 25 17:53:27 UTC 2010

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I have a question for you, and I was wondering if you might have an answer
for me. In Sibelius, how would I notate for a drum kit with brushes? Would
it be the same as notating for a drum kit with sticks? I'm confused! for
example, the brush tap versus the brush swirl on the snare. Here, I'll give
you an example of a score that I've put the brushes drum kit on. This is my
take on a Stevie Wonder classic. This is his sweet tune, "My Cherie Amour",
or as I interpret it, "Ma Chérie Amour". Do you use Sibelius? Do any of your
students use Sibelius? This version of the score is a Sibelius music file.
Here, I'll even attach a recording for you. Here is a rough take on this
notation, a rough recording that is. The part where you might hear a
hard-velocity brush tap is the note that's actually supposed to be the brush
swirl. I recorded this with Eastwest Play (Flute, Alto Flute, Brushes Drum
Kit, Strings, Glockenspiel, and Piano), Kontakt 4 (Electric Guitars and
Tenor Solo) (The Electric Guitar is the "Hype Strat" from Hans Zimmer
Guitars Volume 1, and the Tenor Solo is the Jazz Daas Guys from
Spectrasonics Vocal Planet), Trilogy (6-String Fingered Bass Guitar), and
StylusRMX (Congas and Fingersnaps). If you have any further information or
questions for me, please feel free to Email me at any time, as I check my
Emails several times each day.
Thank you so much,
Annabelle
foristnights at comcast.net
<blocked::blocked::blocked::blocked::blocked::blocked::blocked::blocked::blo
cked::blocked::blocked::blocked::mailto:foristnights at comcast.net>