[musictlk] conducting and lyric diction

Dancing Dots billlist1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 15:16:33 UTC 2010

One technique I used when I took the required conducting class was to talk
to the singers or instrumentalists in order to get a sense of their position
relative to my own.  I would say: "Good morning, altos."  And the altos only
would say good morning back to me.  After similar responses from each
section, I could make a mental map of where each group was positioned for
later reference if I wanted to send a signal to that section.

I found conducting really challenging but I passed at least.  I do not
remember a specific grade but only the sense of relief that it was all
behind me!  :)

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann