[musictlk] conducting and lyric diction

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 00:38:45 UTC 2010

Thank you everyone.  I knew I would get awesome suggestions.  I'm not
sure, but I may ask and see if someone is willing to do an independent
study with me.  I'm just not sure how much I would get out of the
class.  I'm talking about conducting, not diction.  Lol!  I would,
like Amy said, have to have the instructor come over every 10 seconds
showing me what everyone was doing.  I have already tried some basic
conducting in my musicianship class and found it really difficult.  I
lose the movements quickly and can't remember what they were 5 minutes
later.  I didn't even think about the eye contact thing.  Yes, that
would be really difficult.  I cannot make eye contact, so that part
will not even happen.  I can look in the direction of a certain
section, but that is about it.

I have been asked how I will deal with looking at scores while having
to conduct.  I'm not sure, but I do think that this will be
impossible.  I mean you can't read braille and have your hands waving
all over the place at the same time.  I don't know the conducting
professor well, and I'm not sure what he will think about having a
blind student in his classes, but I know for sure that I don't want to
take up precious class time for him to be showing me all the patterns
and things.

Thanks for the braille IPA!  I will look into it.  I did not realize
there was such a thing.  I hope it's easier than braille music. :)