[musictlk] Hello list

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Sat Feb 26 17:15:45 UTC 2011

Hi, Marion,

We have recordings... some boot legs of rehearsals and some bootlegs
of Sunday morning.  every once in a while, we actually record
something on purpose, but nobody is ever quite satisfied with the
recording quality.  why is it you can get a great basist, a  sax and
even a string quartet when you want it but never anybody who wants to
stand by the sound board and twist knobs?
All that fussing notwithstanding, here are a couple things I can
share publicly without bringing the copyright police down on our
heads! Smile. (My spouse is the music director, so I'm always being
reminded about making sure copyrights are honored!

1. Here's a setting of the Magnificat we like done a couple years ago
by a quartet we had.  I think we still  have the sheet
music.  This  is one of mine: no, I'm not the pretty voice who starts
the piece: I'm the one with the bad cold singing the verses. Smile.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2244397/10%2010%20Lift%20Me.mp3

2. We sort of have a love affair with hand drums these days.  the
Pastor went  to Tanzania a few years back and we were never the
same.  I think this one is public domain, but I am not so sure....
it's rather long... we don't seem to know when to stop. There is a
basket of hand percussion at the door of the church, so people take
what they want and  join right in.  I do think it's merry.
smile.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2244397/02%20Track%202.mp3

3. We joke that this is our classical piece. apologies for the  wash
board player who is way too close to his mic!  But you can still hear
the banjo and it gives you the idea of what we often do with traditional hymns.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2244397/14joyfuljoyful.mp3

4.  We do sometimes have a choir and do things with classical guitar
and choir.  This is a psalm  we were using a lot a while back.  Once
again, not public domain, but we can get permission for this one, and
I think I still have the choir parts notated for the paper trained
musicians..  Not me singing either solo line. It is my guitar, though.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2244397/18%20keep%20me%20on%20the%20path.wav

5. And finally I couldn't resist adding our tribute to Louis
braille.  I'm especially pleased with the percussion track here.
http://fridaynightlinguistics.org/braille-song-nov9-2009.mp3

there's more recordings I could share off-list that have penny
whistle and more audible banjo, but that oughta give the sense of the
range of things we do.

Peace,
Sheri