[musictlk] A Novice Looking for Advice

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 05:38:40 UTC 2011

Good evening,

I am a musician, and am interested in doing some recording at home to get
some rough demos of songs I eventually plan to put on a studio produced
record. I play guitar, sing, and use a Yamaha ES8 for drums, keys, and other
instruments.

I am wondering if there might be anybody on this list who knows about
accessible home studio solutions who would be willing to help point me in
the right direction. I have read about Sonar and Logic, and have heard that
ProTools is going to have, or already has, some level of accessibility. I
have spoken with people at Dancing Dots, and had a Digital Audio Workstation
and Sonar recommended to me. Being that I am only interested in recording to
get down songs and ideas and share them with others, I wonder if the $3000 I
would need to drop on a set up like that is necessary. I want to be able to
mic in vocals and an acoustic guitar, run an electric guitar line in, and
use the Yamaha as a MIDI interface. I am just interested in learning about
the different levels of functionality I might achieve at different price
points, with a view toward usability by a blind user.

Any assistance any of you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sean