[musictlk] A Novice Looking for Advice

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 11 13:17:28 UTC 2011

Some of the answer depends upon how comfortable you feel with computers and whether you already own a
computer with a screen reader.  For what you want to do, you should be able to get by cheaper.  I don't know why
you would need a digital audio work station.  I am not even certain for what you are looking to do that you really need
MIDI, could you explain how you see that?  The approach depends some on whether you are mostly going to want to
get a live performance recorded such that you can distribute it, or whether you see yourself wanting to lay down
separate tracks, edit each track, and then combine them into a recording.  If you want to lay down separate tracks,
you will need something that can handle that, and Dancing Dots should be able to help you out with that for less
money than $3,000 I would think, but there will be a learning curve.

I am not a musician, or maybe it is more accurate to say I am a would-be musician, but I have done some work with
sound editing on the Windows platform with Gold wave, Sound Forge, and Adobe Audition, and I've had a little
experience with an older version of CakeWalk from Dancing Dots.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson