[musictlk] musictlk Digest, Vol 78, Issue 11

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:26:31 UTC 2011

Hi friends,

Thanks, Cameron. I knew it couldn't be right that Christian needed a
separate track for each patch change.

Bill, I have a question. As noted earlier, I'm still using Cakewalk 7,
which works fine for what I need i.e. songwriting. I can't sing and
don't need to record. But, Cakewalk 7 can save projects in its own .wrk
format or in MIDI. It won't convert MIDI to audio files.

My question is this: Is MIDI accessible to most people? If I want to
share my songs with members of this list and post them as MIDI files,
will people be able too play them? Or is MIDI just too antiquated? If it
is, what can I do? I really don't need all the capabilities of Sonar.
Most of the time, I just need to be able to compose and print.

Speaking of my songwriting: I write standard, pop type songs.

I am not, strictly speaking, a trained musician, a number of years of
piano and several years of voice lessons not withstanding. I minored in
music, which was all my college offered, whichmeant several semesters of
Music History and two interminable semesters of Theory. But, I've never
had the opportunity to take Composition, Arranging or Improvisation. So,
while I can write lyrics and melodies, harmonization, creating the chord
changes is really hard for me. Does anyone know of a book, an online
seminar, anything that can help me become more proficient with harmony?

Solidarity and Peace,

Kerry