[musictlk] sonar

Dancing Dots billlist1 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 19:14:36 UTC 2011

Jorge, as you may know, SONAR 8.5 comes in 2 editions, either Producer
edition or Studio edition.  Here's a summary of what you will need to
consider:

To use SONAR, you need the following types of equipment:

1. Appropriate computer for recording music.
2. A device called an audio interface that is used to route sound in to, and
out of, the computer.
3. A MIDI controller keyboard, used for triggering instrument sounds that
will be produced by the computer.
4. The Cakewalk Sonar recording software.
5. A compatible version of the Jaws screen reader.
6. The CakeTalking scripts and tutorial.

Sonar is available in either a Studio or Producer edition. Both editions are
the same functionally, however the producer edition includes additional
software instruments and effects that are not available in the Studio
edition. Some sighted people will purchase the Studio edition to get the
basics of Sonar, and then buy instruments and effects that are produced by
other companies. However, we suggest that blind people purchase the Producer
edition of Sonar, as the instruments and effects that are included with it
are accessible, where as most 3rd party instruments and effects are not.

The Producer edition of Sonar includes a software instrument called
Dimension Pro. There are additional sound packs for Dimension Pro that can
be used to add instrument sounds to Dimension Pro. One of these expansions
provides a huge number of world instruments. Many Asian wind instruments are
included in that expansion. If you purchased Sonar Producer as part of your
package, we could also provide you with the appropriate expansion pack for
Dimension Pro in order to assure that you'd have the instrument sounds that
you require.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann