[musictlk] Music for Lent & Easter

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Sat Mar 5 22:27:35 UTC 2011

Hi, Marion,

These sound like some  nice choices.  Would you
mind including  copyright and author info so we could track some of these down?

I love Lent.  It has some of my favorite music:

etter descriptions of all of these are on our band director's blog

TurtleBaitBlog.com

but here are the things we are doing immediately
for Lent that I like (and can remember right
now!) (He says he's getting his Lent list up in a few days.)

“Sing of the Lord’s goodness” – Ernest Sands;
©1981 Ernest Sands; OCP Publications.

I like  this alot ... and it's in 5/4 time and I
get to play penny whistle! smile.
It sounds like Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” mixed
with Everything's Alright from Jesus Christ
Superstar: not hard to play if you can get your
percussionist to  count to five.  It's also a good Easter song.

We're also doing:

“Open The Eyes of My Heart” – Paul Baloche; ©1997 Integrity’s Hosanna!

which has a really pretty up the neck guitar bit
that is more fun to play on the classical guitar,
but they make me do it on the electric so we can
hit the fuzz pedal on the loud parts. Smile..

And:

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus” — Helen H. Lemmel (Public Domain)

We do this a capela except sometimes we play the
bass line on the bass (because we have nobody
singing that line right now)... It's really
pretty; we only do the refrain though.

and Dust and Ashes by David Haas (which has a
pretty echo.  We do it on harp (just my little
celtic job; nobody here has a big harp) and play the bass line.

Probably soon, we'll do Down in the River to
Pray: also a capela.  Our congregation loves this
and sings like crazy.  It's lovely and they learn
it fast and it's simple and powerful.

In Lent, we do lots of Taize music and have a
couple favorites.  Our congregation likes them: your mileage may vary!

And we sing the Lord's Prayer and are switching
now from a jazz style one to a homemmade  a
capela one sung call and response with a little
light drum to keep it on track.  Not sure how
that will go, but if you're curious I can let you
know.  I feel a little uncertain about it.  It
crashed at last band practice, but we'll give it
another try next week.  At our other service
(where they don't like drums) we will chant the
Lord's prayer for Lent.  This is also lots of fun on occasion.

Sorry,that's probably more info than you
wanted.  I enjoy talking about song choices and instrumentation!
Peace,
Sheri W-J