[musictlk] From a recital last week...

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:56:11 UTC 2011

Hello,
I have a good friend in Eugene who could probably help you if you really need those samples. He's an excellent pianist and moved to Eugene a couple of years ago to get his doctorate, because they were offering him all kinds of amazing things including a home etc. I'm not sure which university he's affiliated with, but they probably have concert Steinways in there.
New York Steinways and Hamburg steinways are just different... Hamburgs generally have a better finish, and their sound is normally on the brighter side. The action is also different, generally a little heavier than the one on american Steinways. Objectively Hamburgs are supposed to be better, but many people prefer New York because they have a darker sound. This is very general, of course you will find New York Steinways which are very bright and heavy and Hamburgs which are dark and light, but this is the best description I can give you right now. I would say if I had to buy one I would try to get a Hamburg even though the last few times I've played on them I haven't really enjoyed the action. The new ones are coming out particularly heavy and bright, which I don't really like. But these things can be worked on and Hamburgs really have a better finish. They are also more expensive though.
If you are trying to get samples, try to find a Fazzioli concert grand. It's a lot better than any Steinway. The last one I played was in a big rehearsal room at Juilliard in NYC and it was truly amazing.

IC