[musictlk] tuning a piano

Tyler K. Thompson tyler at tylerthompsonmusic.com
Wed May 25 22:19:10 UTC 2011

It's actually not to difficult, you can go pick up a cheap tuning hammer and
wedges from practically any music store. It takes a while to get in to tune
but it's not to hard, slip the hammer over the tuning peg... turn. For just
a few notes you shouldn't have any real problem, after a while of tuning
you'll tend to get burnt out, if most of the piano is in tune doing it by
ear makes life easy. Otherwise you're looking at needing to go buy a digital
tuner.

it's best to tune the middle of the three strings first, so put a wedge on
either side. tune up the middle peg, left is down, right is up (pegs are
vertical compared to strings on most pianos)