[musictlk] Learning Band Musics

kwakmiso at aol.com kwakmiso at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 21:38:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I am a flute player who is involved in high school wind ensemble.
I have been playing with sighted peers since middle school.
Previously, I learned my parts solely by listening. When musics were
simple enough, I could just sit with my section for a few days and just
know what to play.
When difficulty of musics increased I started having parts where I was
not too sure what was right so I asked my band director or someone in
my section to help me out. I would ask so I can be clear on rhythm,
notes, etc.
This year I am in wind ensemble at my school and musics are quite
challenging.
Also I am playing flute 2 parts so not everything is melodic and
audable through recordings of musics.
What I would like to ask is is there any way I can obtain braille
version of my parts?
I know that there is dancing dot software that can produce braille
music, but I don't know it very well and I don't think I will be able
to purchase it.
Could you let me know if you know any blind band director?

Just fyi, I am playing following musics for this semester in the wind
ensemble:
1. Incantation and Dance by John Barnes Chance
2. Armenian Dances by Alfred Reed
3. Four Scottish Dances by Malcolm Arnold

According to my band director, all three musics are wellknown pieces
among wind ensembles, so I am wondering if it's in Braille. (?)

I was able to obtain recordings of all pieces so I listen to them
constantly but not all flute parts are audable and memorizable just by
listening.

I would appreciate any help relating to this.

Miso Kwak