[musictlk] Gospel music promotion

Joshua Lester jlester8462 at students.pccua.edu
Fri Oct 7 20:03:18 UTC 2011

Hi, it's Joshua Lester.
I've talked about my performing side, but I'd like to discuss another
job that I've been doing, for the past 3 years.
I promote Southern Gospel, and Traditional African-American Gospel groups.
I try to get them to come to my home state of Arkansas, and expecially
Arkansas County, (where I live.)
Well, I've had some issues with groups, and I'd like to know, if there
are any promoters on here.
In the Southern Gospel promotions community, we have the following
rules, and I'd like to discuss them.
#1. If a church tells you, (the promoter, and performers,) that the
concert will start at a certain time, and they start later than usual,
then that's unprofessional.
#2. Groups, and Artists must respond to a promoter's initial E-mail,
within 2 or 3 days, or they're considered unprofessional.
#3. If the promoter has to call an artist, it is best that the
artist's management doesn't change phone numbers, all of a sudden.
I just dealt with this, this afternoon.
There's a Gospel group, I was wanting to promote, but their Website is
down, their Myspace hasn't been updated, and worst of all, they change
their phone numbers often.
The 2 previous numbers I had, for that group, had been disconnected.
Now, I found another phone number, supposedly for that same group.
When I called the number, I wound up talking to someone that didn't
hahve anything to do with the group.
My rules are, that if I promote you, you must keep your Website
updated, and running.
You must never change phone numbers, without notifying the promoter,
and you must respond to E-mails, within 2 days of them being sent.
That shouldn't be too much to ask, of a group, or artist.
I hope none of you promoters, (if there are any on here,) deal with
what I've experienced.
Blessings, Joshua