[musictlk] royalty question

Brad Dunse' lists at braddunsemusic.com
Thu Sep 8 23:53:04 UTC 2011

Venues pay a license fee to ASCAP for example that covers all songs
played in their establishment. Establishments do not pay or target
individual artists or writers. The larger the establishment, the
larger the license fee. It would be nice if we got paid when someone
did our tunes, including us, which technically we ought, but those
license fees go to the Adel's Taylor Switfs and etc. of the world. A
very small coffeehouse here in my area pays $750 a year for a license
and that was  actually negociated down from a higher rate based on
assumption of more patrons fit in the place. At any rate, venues
don't need to know the person/writer. You on the other hand, if were
putting someone's song on a CD would need their info/publisher/etc.
to make arrangement to pay them for use of their tune on your project.

Hope that helps some.

Brad

On 9/8/2011  05:12 PM Foggddm at aol.com said...
>i aman ascap member and I tried a searchh but it seems the composer is
>needed which is information I don't have. The venue is going to pay the
>royalties but they need to know who to pay hence the need to know
>who is responsible
>for the songs we are going to play. Unless it is possible to pay one and
>have that be ok?
>for musictlk:
>http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/musictlk_nfbnet.org/lists%40braddunsemusic.com

Brad Dunse

If you repeat yourself
Repeat yourself
Repeat yourself
You might be a songwriter. --Capt'n Frank

http://www.braddunsemusic.com

http://www.facebook.com/braddunse

http://www.twitter.com/braddunse