[musictlk] In's, and out's of the industry

Joshua Lester jlester8462 at students.pccua.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:31:10 UTC 2011

Hi, it's Joshua Lester.
I've been reading alot on this list, about recording.
I have learned alot, about independently recording my music, and as
soon as I get my own place, I'll invest in some of the equipment, I
heard about on here.
This all started after a negative experience, when I recorded my CD, 4
years ago.
I was 17, and didn't know any better, so I took this new guy in town,
up on his offer, to record my music.
He was the youth pastor at a church, and had his own digital recording studeo.
He's a tallented guy, (who plays 6 diferent instruments.)
Anyway, when it came time for the recording, I was expecting to be
able to sing, and play the piano, on the CD.
Well, I got sick, so I couldn't sing.
He said, that people only knew me, for my piano playing, because at
the time, I hadn't sung anywhere, but at my home church.
I wanted my CD to be a surprise, but instead, he made me record an
instrumental album, that was all thrown together.
After the recording process, he asked me to tell him what order I
wanted the songs to be in, on the CD.
I gave him the list, but, when I got the finished product, he had
changed stuff around, and didn't abide by my wishes.
I asked him why, and he said, that my piano playing was monotonous.
I've been playing, since I was 5, and have been influenced by the
likes of Floyd Kramer, Anthony Burger, Roger Williams, Dino, Henry
Mancini, and Ferante, and Teicher.
How is that monotonous?
Oh yeah, did I mention that I was a fan of Yani's music?
His style also influenced me.
Anyway, I listened to the CD, and I found out, he had messed up the recording.
I played, "I can only Imagine," in the correct beat, but when I heard
it, he sped it up, (by his computer.)
The songs weren't the way I wanted them, and I was ripped off!
$400, I paid for that terrible recording!
I had no artistic freedom, whatsoever!
I learned an important lesson, during that ordeal.
I'd rather not have a national recording contract, I want to record my
own stuff, so I can be free to do whatever I want, on my recordings.
It's a Joshua Lester recording, not a Joe Schmo recording!
Blessings, Joshua