[musictlk] Trouble with Chet Atkins guitar chords

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Fri May 11 13:09:56 UTC 2012

Kirk and All,
    The key, as you state, is practice. When I am working on a difficult
section of music,I play it repetitively. I will sometimes play four to eight
bars of music over and over for an hour to get the muscle memory. I
recommend one start out playing it slowly, increasing the tempo as it
becomes more familiar. I will even work on playing it more quickly than I
will perform it just to engrain the part by over learning it. As a
self-accompanying vocalist, I need to learn my instrumental parts well
enough to not think about them while singing. If I do, I often forget the
lyrics!
    Two of the most dificult songs I do in this respect are a'Soalin' - an
Old English Christmas song - and Scarborough Fair. Now that I have written
that, I realize both are Old English folk songs! I have an mp3 of me
performing A'Soalin' live-to-tape, if anyone would like to hear it. If so,
please send a message to my music email address

SwampFox1833 at Verizon.net

Peace!
Marion