[musictlk] Music Education Major

kwakmiso at aol.com kwakmiso at aol.com
Sat May 26 02:46:35 UTC 2012

I have asked a similar thing before, but I would like to ask again...
more specifically.
Do you think as a blind person, it's possible to become an instrumental
music teacher in public school setting?
I know that there are some blind band directors working for school for
the blind, but I have not found anyone who works in public and/or
private schools as band/orchestra/choir director.
Is there anyone who is working in this field?
As I am applying to colleges this fall, I am planning to apply to a few
schools as a music education major.
I wouldn't mind too much directing ensembles at school for the blind
but I would prefer public school settings where majority of students
are sighted.
I strongly believe or try to believe all the time that blindness
shouldn't prevent anyone including myself from doing something we
desire, but I feel the need to be realistic at the same time.
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you.
Miso Kwak