[musictlk] chicken picking

Data data at papermusic.org
Sat Oct 27 16:23:42 UTC 2012

I had never heard that funny sounding term before, but now that I've done
some research on it, I realize I've been doing that all along.
In classical music it's called a "snap", in which you grab the string
between thumb and forefinger, pull it away from the fretboard, and release
it so that it: 1. hits the fretboard with a percussive snap, and, 2. rings
with the note. I use this on classical guitar to produce a pseudo-funk
slap-bass sound, a la "Play That Funky Music".
With practice, it can be done quickly and cleanly and has a wonderful timbre
that's different from any other on the guitar. After realizing the
technique, the name is wonderfully appropriate, as it requires you to "peck"
the strings quickly, like a chicken.

Here's a link that may help:
http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/LJ2/LJ2T05a.html

Sincerely,