[musictlk] chicken picking

Data data at papermusic.org
Sat Oct 27 16:43:46 UTC 2012

Timothy,
As I was playing with this on my guitar, I realized that the other reason it
may be called "chicken picking" is that it does indeed produce a form of
musical onomotopaeia (classically known as "text painting"), as the notes
sound like a chicken: bok! bok! bok! bok! bok!
Also, in classical music terms, there are different forms of the snap.
There's a simple mute snap that produces just the percussive sound of the
string striking the fretboard, and there's a string snap (or slap) that
produces a discernable note after the percussive pop.
In country and folk music, try using it as a bass lead in from 5 to 1.
Therefore, in C, playing the 5 chord G, bass line G A B C (1 chord).
Fun Stuff!
Sincerely, Andy