[musictlk] Learning to read music

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 14 23:03:14 UTC 2013

Jenny, the print music is so different from the braille code, but
here are the basics.

There is a bass clef and a treble clef, consisting of five lines and
four spaces each, with a line with a space on either side between.
The bottom line of the bass clef is the second G from the bottom on
the piano. The lines go up in thirds: B, D, F, and A in the Bass
clef. Middle C is the line between the cleffs. The treble clef starts
with E above middle C as the bottom line, and goes up in thirds: G,
B, D, and F. The spaces are the notes I skipped. Both cleffs together
are called a staff.

In print, the note shapes are different, and are placed on the
correct line or space for the note needed, and the stems or flags go
up or down, depending on the voice part.. The note shapes determine
the note value.

The braille music code uses octaves, and each note has a different
dot combination to determine it. The basic is the braille alphabet
beginning with D for C eighth. The eight notes are in order, with J
being B eighth. The quarter notes add dot 6 to the eight note dots,
the half notes add dot 3, and the whole note adds both dots 3 and 6.

That's a start for you.

Unless you're going to be a music teacher of sighted students, I
wouldn't worry about learning how print music is laid out and written.

HTH.

Blessings, Linda.

-----
No virus found in this message.