[musictlk] Piano/keyboard playing tips

Louise May Fami may.fami at yahoo.com.ph
Mon Oct 28 08:53:11 UTC 2013

Hi Sandra,

I guess you're right. I enjoyed our last rehearsal and I think when I'm already use to doing this, I will be able to enjoy playing without thinking about how to do stuff.

Thanks and wellcome to the list
May

 Hello  Joshua,
 I've been on this list for a while but I guess I haven't
 said very
 much. Thanks for the welcome.

 May, perhapsyou need to have more fun with your band
 members. I
 remember when I was in a similar group and improvising,
 sensing what
 the others were going to do before they did it, kept things
 exciting!

 Very best wishes,
 Sandra.

 On 10/27/13, Joshua Lester <JLester8462 at pccua.edu>
 wrote:
 > Hi Sandra!
 > Welcome to the list!
 > I remember you from the NABS List!
 > I agree with what you have stated.
 > As a pianist who plays by ear all the time, you can
 also E-Mail me off list,
 > and I'll give you ideas.
 > If you're not comfortable playing by ear, look for the
 Braille music if you
 > know how to read it.
 > BTW, I can also read Braille music.
 > Blessings, Joshua
 >
 > Hello May,
 > It sounds as though your problem is musicianship based.
 If you have a
 > sound grasp of harmony, following and and improvising
 over an
 > unfamiliar tune won't pose you too many problems.
 Assuming your fellow
 > band members play a verse of which ever song you're
 performing, why
 > don't you improvise a tune on top while you're
 listening for the
 > chords then join in with the correct chords during the
 second verse.
 > If the song is unfamiliar to all of you, no one will
 expect you to get
 > the accompaniment exactly right. As for the pieces you
 know, listening
 > to the songs will give you an overall sense of the
 harmonic structure.
 > Write to me off list if you like as I have lots of
 ideas which will

 wrote:
 >> Hi everyone,
 >>
 >> After several years of playing the piano, this is
 my first time to play
 >> with
 >> the band. I got a few questions:
 >>
 >> 1. How can I do the listen and play thing. There
 are some instances
 >> wherein
 >> people would request songs that we didn't rehearse.
 How can I listen to
 >> them
 >> and follow their chord progressions and play it at
 the same time?? Or
 >> sometimes if the song is familiar, how can I play
 and recall the music in
 >> my
 >> head successfully?? Do you know some play by
 ear  sites or youtube videos
 >> that would be able to help me on this?? Please
 share if you have some
 >> tips.
 >>
 >> 2. How can I play keyboard parts in some songs
 wherein the keyboard parts
 >> are not clear enough?? I also want to ask if you
 know websites wherein I
 >> can
 >> find right chords in case I wont be able to play it
 by ear?? I got songs
 >> here that I need to learn.
 >>
 >> Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes - Time Of My
 Life
 >> Beatles Something
 >> Burn  - Tina Arena
 >> In My Life -  Patti Austin
 >> Michael Jackson-Man in the mirror
 >> Roberta Flack ft. Donny Hathaway - The Closer I Get
 To You
 >> Power of 2 indigo girls
 >>
 >> Thank you in advance. Any suggestions , tips and
 help would be highly
 >> appreciated.
 >> May

 your account info for