[musictlk] strategies for learning mountain dulcimer??

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Fri Sep 20 18:05:05 UTC 2013

Hello list

I am a beginning mountain dulcimer player.  I cannot read print (which
was never practical for reading music) , and I can't see hand
positions.  I can see my instrument, but don't really process visually
what I see.  I'm learning grade 2 Braille so am no where near ready for
music Braille which may not be real efficient for me.  I have an iPad
and iPhone and use Window Eyes on my Win7 pc.  I have been taking
lessons from an awesome instructor who has helped me to
become very familiar with my dulcimer despite my being unable to read
music or see
much of hand movements.  I play songs and cords using all the strings.

Does anyone know of any accessible iDevice apps they would recommend for
recording music.  I'm looking for something that will allow me to easily
speed up/slow down and rewind/fast forward.  I find sliders don't work
real well.  I hate buying apps only to find they do not work with voiceover.

Any tips, websites, etc that would help me as a blind mountain dulcimer
player to learn by ear or in general would be appreciated.

Finally, are there any mountain dulcimer players out there that would be
willing to communicate with me?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
B renda