[musictlk] strategies for learning mountain dulcimer??

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Mon Sep 23 18:07:16 UTC 2013

Hi Kaiti
Thank you for replying with some valuable info and some info that
confirms what I'm doing.  I like the speed-up/slow-down feature on my
Victor.  My instructor uses audacity and is going to record some stuff
for me but he has no idea what an mp3 file is.  I will have to take the
file in whatever format he gives and try to save it in something my
Victor will  play.  I had several recordings of songs he made during our
lessons, but I had to erase my iPad because of an IOS 7 install gone
wrong and I lost them.  I will try to record future stuff with my Victor
(this will save him from spending a lot of time recording and saving to
disk).  He has already got me doing chords and various scales and
intervals.  I'm still looking for an app that has buttons instead of a
slider bar.  I don't mind going back too far, but I use audio memos and
often I have to keep swiping to get anywhere.  I agree about learning
Braille music, but I have so much going on having too much new will make
me crazy.  Besides I would have to teach myself as Hadley won't let me
take Braille music until I complete grade 2.

FYI, my background is that I tried learning piano and violin (4th grade)
as a child when I had partial sight and they expected me to read print
music.  Actually I tried guitar and piano as an adult relying on my
vision.  My instructor is awesome and is working with me without print
music although I think he was hoping I could use music to help
learning.  I was hoping to find some apps that would work with voiceover
where I could read the music notes and tabliture, but that kind of thing
is not set up as a txt file.

I will reread your email a few times to totally absorb it.  Thank you so
much for sending it.  I am kind of surprised that I haven't gotten many

I may contact yu again with more questions as time goes on.

thanks again.
Brenda

On 9/22/2013 3:35 PM, Kaiti Shelton wrote:
> [...]
> found this really beneficial for learning piano pieces and guitar
> pieces with simultaneous melody and chords.
>
> Practice on your own.  the more you hear yourself play different
> chords, notes, and intervals, the more trained your ear will become
> and the easier it will get for you to learn by ear.  Try practicing
> common chord progressions like I, IV, V, I (1, 4, 5, 1).  And while
> you can't really train yourself to have perfect pitch, you can train
> your ear to recognize certain tuning pitches like A 440.  I use a
> pitch pipe app that is free to check my tuning, but it will give your
> ear a chance to hear and learn certain helpful tuning pitches which
> will be beneficial in tuning and learning melodies by ear.
>
> Also, studies have found that it is actually more beneficial for a
> beginning music student to learn braille music alongside their
> instrument, even if they're still working on the literary braille
> code.  I can see why you'd want to get the grade 2 stuff down first,
> but this same principle is what often keeps young music students from
> ever learning the code.  speaking as someone who had to self-teach the
> code several years after she started playing, it is much easier to
> learn music as you learn your instrument so that you don't run into
> the problem of trying to learn music that is not too difficult for you
> to play, but is too difficult for you to read as a beginning braille
> music reader.  E.G, it is much easier to learn how to read Twinkle
> Twinkle at the same time you learn how to play it than to jump into
> trying to read a concerto that you're playing when you're still at
> Twinkle Twinkle level.  The Braille music code is actually a separate
> entity from the literary code as well, so it would probably be a
> worthwhile investment in your playing to start learning now.
>
> Great questions.
>
> On 9/21/13, Linda Mentink<mentink at frontiernet.net>  wrote:
>> Hi Brenda,
>>
>> Welcome. I'm a music teacher in Nebraska, and I play a lot by ear.
>> However, I am proficient in the Braille Music Code, and often write
>> out melodies and parts when I need them.
>>
>> You might record your lessons with your instructor, if you have a way
>> to do that.
>>
>> I don't use any aps because I don't have an iPhone. Others here will
>> have to help you with that.
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Linda
>>
>> At 07:48 AM 9/21/2013, you wrote:
>>> Hi Joshua
>>> thank you for your quick response and welcome.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to finding out how other people learn songs for
>>> their instruments (dulcimer, guitar, etc).  Does anyone use
>>> iPad/iPhone apps to learn music for recording or rereading music
>>> that you find on the internet?  Do most people who are blind simply
>>> learn by ear?  Are there any suggestions for learning by ear (what I
>>> can do, what my instructor can do to help me).  What other ways do
>>> brenda
>>> Thanks