[musictlk] Introduction

Toby Rush tobywrush at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:59:50 UTC 2014

Hello, list members! I have been "lurking" on the list for some time but I
thought I'd introduce myself and ask a few questions. My name is Dr. Toby
Rush and I teach music theory and aural skills at the University of Dayton
in Dayton, Ohio. I am sighted and am an absolute beginner when it comes to
braille, but I have been working quite a bit with braille music and
associated technology and am very interested in making assistive music
technology more accessible to everyone, blind or sighted.

One of my recent projects involves working toward a way to use braille
music notation to create scores which lend themselves more to analysis
(like in a theory class), since braille music as it stands tends to be
geared more toward performance. I have been using one of my students (who
happens to be a member of this list) as a "guinea pig" as I've been working
on this, but I'd love to get additional feedback from others who know
braille music. If it would be acceptable to do so, I'd love to be able to
solicit some of this feedback here in the future.

Also, I have a question about learning braille music: I realize that the
best way to learn braille music notation is to study with a teacher who is
fluent with the system. For those who want to try to do it themselves, what
is the biggest roadblock to learning it? I know that there are books
available on the subject, and the braille music code itself is available as
PDF and BRF files at (http://www.brailleauthority.org/music/music.html).
For those who are learning this system on your own, do you feel like these
resources are sufficient? Is there a need for something better? If so, what
do you think would work best?

At any rate, thank you for listening; I'm excited to be a member of the
community and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Dr. Toby W. Rush - trush1 at udayton.edu <trush1 at notes.udayton.edu>
Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Technology
University of Dayton
"Omnia voluntaria est."