[musictlk] Chord chart

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 04:04:02 UTC 2014

Hi Marissa,

Brandon is again right---intervals are just one of the rudaments of
music, so you need to learn them first in order to grasps chord
structure.  If you cannot understand the descriptions given on this
thread, why not ask someone who plays piano from your class, or a
teacher to show you?  If your school has a music theory class, maybe
seek out the teacher of that for basic help.  They'll probably have no
problem with showing you these things; theory teachers tend to geek
out about this stuff, and will appreciate your interest.

And, you can also try doing the exercises I described in my last
email.  If you go through the email a sentence at a time or with your
piano in front of you so you can see what I was talking about, it
should make much more sense.

If your hard and fast about looking online my theory professor's
textbook is online.  Just search for Sound Patterns University of
Dayton in google and it will pop right up.  Chapters 1-5 are the basic
elements of music, including intervals and basic chord structures.
Although this textbook is used in college theory classes, it does a
pretty good job of spelling everything out, and he even added links to
wikipedia articles for words in the text students may not understand.
It may be worth a shot.