[musictlk] The Circle of Fifths

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 23:17:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

One important thing to remember is that the circle of fifths is meant
to be a circle.  What would be really helpful is if you could have a
tactile image of it made with the keys written in appropriate places
on the circle, like the numbers on the face of a clock.  12:00 would
be your C major, with no sharps or flats.  Each time you go clockwise
around the circle, you add a sharp.  Each time you go
counter-clockwise, you add a flat.  You have to switch once you hit
C-sharp when going counter-clockwise to flats.  I hope this helps.
Linda's list is very helpful for spelling out the keys, but the circle
will really help you to learn the relationships between the keys
rather than just what notes are in each diatonic scale.

--
Kaiti