[musictlk] The Circle of Fifths

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 01:08:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

I agree with Linda, do what makes the most sense for you.

As far as transposing goes, that has more to do with key
relationships.  Finding the sharps and flats in a key quickly is
solved with the circle of fifths.  For example, If you count in G, D,
A (starting from C and going 3 places to the right around the circle),
you'll know that A major has 3 sharps.  If you're transposing from D
to C though, it's much simpler.  D is 2 half steps above C, so
naturally you can just lower every note in the key of D major by 2
half steps.  I've written it out for you below.

D, down one half step to D-flat, down another half step to C.
E, down one half step to E-flat, down another half step to D.
F-sharp, down a half step to F natural, down another half step to E.
G, down one half step to G-Flat, down another half step to F Natural.
A, down one half step to A-flat, down another half step to G.
B, down one half step to B-Flat, down another half step to A.
C-Sharp, down a half step to C-natural, down another half step to B.
D, down two half steps to C again.

You can see the first column is the D major scale.  The second column
is all the notes transposed down a half step, also in the key of
D-Flat major.  The third column is the C major scale.

Easy exercise just to demonstrate simple transposition.  Try playing
Mary had a Little Lamb, or better yet Do Re Me from The Sound of
Music, in a variety of different keys.  Do Re Me is great because it
is based on the scale, so it will allow you to clearly see key
relationships, and where accidentals are in each key.