[musictlk] voice lessons

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 21:07:41 UTC 2014

Hi all. I would not feel comfortable  teaching voice lessons over Skype. Especially because you can only hear what somebody is doing. You can't feel physically what A student is doing in terms of their breathing and  such things like that. And such things are so important to develop good vocal technique. I would also not feel comfortable having lessons just once a month  especially if one is a beginner. I teach both cello and piano and cello and one absolute must for me is that a student have a lesson at least every other week. I prefer a weekly lessons but under exceptional circumstances, I will let a student have a lesson every other week. With once a month, there's just too much lag time in between for bad habits to develop. I only know one cello teacher who teaches her grandkids over Skype, but she is cited and she has the video turned on so she can see what they are doing. Perhaps something like braille music could be taught over Skype provided that both student and teacher  have the same braille copy of the book. It's been something that I've been willing to give a try if the offer ever comes up. As for disclosing blindness, no matter how you do it, the employer is going to be thrown off guard. It's just not a common thing for them. If that A particular employer  or reacts badly when you disclose your blindness, whether it is at the interview itself, or when scheduling the interview, you probably don't want to work for that employer anyway. Whenever I'm getting a new student, I disclose my blindness in this way: since I am totally blind, I may be using a little more touch that a student is used to. Although, I will do is much bye sound as possible. Is your son or daughter okay with this? Or are you okay with this? Every single parent  that  I have talked to said that they appreciate me being honest about my blindness not the reasons why have to use more touch  makes sense. I had only one student who  couldn't handle being touched and that was because he had sensory issues. To put it simply, I'm blind and that's just the way it is so why should I apologize for it? If other people have a hard time with it, it's their loss not mine. Just my thoughts.
Leslie

Sent from my iPhone