[musictlk] article about me

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:46:46 UTC 2015

Hello,
I thought everyone might enjoy this.  The following article was
written about me in my college newspaper several years ago.  A
friend wanted to do a story about me since it was the first time
I'd ever sang a solo in front of a live audience.  So here it is.
I realize it is old, but let me know what you think.
  Ashland Idol's surprise performer stuns audience
  By Alaina Bosak - Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:00 am
  Senior Kelsey Nicolay has been a singer for over a decade but
she has never had the opportunity to perform a solo.  That is,
not until Thursday night.
  Nicolay signed herself up to perform in Ashland Idol.  This
competition, sponsored by the sisters of Phi Mu at Ashland
University, is held annually in support of the chapter's
philanthropy, Children's Miracle Network.
  "I was really surprised when Kelsey (Nicolay) signed up,"
Rachel Heckathorn, president of Phi Mu, said.  "I'm really
excited for her to be able to perform though."
  "I've gone to watch (Ashland Idol) since I started at AU,"
Nicolay said.  "I also love to watch American Idol, so I thought,
why not give it a try?"
  Having never performed a solo before, Nicolay admitted to being
nervous prior to the competition.  According to Nicolay, as of
two days before the show, she still had half of her repertoire to
learn.
  Nicolay is no stranger to music, however.  She has been part of
a choir since fourth grade, only taking a break during her
freshman year because, unfortunately, there was no choir to join
at the Medina campus of Akron University.
  When she transferred to AU, however, she became involved in
Women's Chorus and the Ashland Area Chorus, where she currently
sings within the alto and mezzo-soprano range.
  Nicolay recently learned how to read music in Braille, a form
of writing used specifically by the visually impaired or blind.
Until now, she has only been able to learn the words.  She was
forced to learn the music "by ear."
  One of the songs Nicolay chose to perform at Ashland Idol was
Carrie Underwood's "Just a Dream," a song for which Nicolay was
able to obtain Braille sheet music.
  "When I first heard ("Just a Dream"), I thought it was a very
emotional song and a good tribute to our soldiers," Nicolay said.
  The judges seemed to agree, commenting on her soft delivery of
such an emotional song.  They were also impressed with Nicolay's
determination to perform the song a capella.
  Nicolay's lack of vision did not deter her nerves either.
  "I see it both ways," Nicolay explained.  "On the one hand, I
wouldn't be able to see the reactions of the audience, but on the
other, I could hear their reaction in their applause."
  Nicolay did not require any sort of accommodation in order to
perform.  She performed alone, without her cane and with only the
assistance of a "sighted guide" to lead her and situate her
onstage.
  "She is just like any other performer," Crystal Kaschube, the
Phi Mu philanthropy chair, said.  "She doesn't let her blindness
stop her."
  Also just like any other performer, Nicolay was very critical
of her performance.  She felt it was terrible and wished she
could have practiced more.
  She was, however, thrilled with the results of the competition
and felt that fellow Women's Chorus member Ashley Keim certainly
deserved to win.
  "I would definitely sign up again next year," Nicolay said,
"and hopefully I can practice more."
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay