[musictlk] running out of breath when singing

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 05:56:22 UTC 2015

Kelsey,

It takes a lot of practice. As crazy as this may sound, my voice teacher had
me lay on my back on the floor and sing while my hands were in the middle of
my stomach, where the diaphragm is located. As I breathed, I could feel my
diaphragm raising and expanding; as I used my breath, I could feel it
contracting. I found this to be very useful and continue to practice this
technique when I'm faced with long measures in which it is hard to stagger
breathe without losing sound quality. Feel free to contact me off-list if
you need further help with this.

Chris