[musictlk] barbedshop choir

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 20:26:01 UTC 2016

Hello,
I know this is not blindness related, but I was hoping someone
could offer advice.  I found an all female barbershop chorus in
my area.  I have never sung in one of these before.  Therefore, I
was wondering if anyone has ever sung in a barbershop chorus,
male or female.  If so, how is it different from the choirs I've
been in which perform mostly accompanied music besides the fact
that they sing acapella? Do they mainly learn music by ear? It
says that music reading is not a necessity.  Also, will I likely
have to learn choreography for performances? I would appreciate
any experiences anyone has with singing in barbershop choruses.
Thank you,
Kelsey Nicolay