[musictlk] barbershop choir

Amy Billman amy0223 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:52:18 UTC 2016

All barbershop choirs are different.
Some do choreography. In fact, if it's part of harmony or Sweet Adelines,
then it's a definite yes.
The good thing is, that most of these groups have meetups where you can go
and hang out and figure out if the chorus and its members are a good and
positive fit for you; which, I recommend you do.
While music reading is not a requirement in groups such as these, having a
good ear and an abhility to blend and be comfortable singing without music
to accompany you is. Simply put, the good thing about a choir type setting
is that if you are weaker musically the rest of the group can carry you.
There's no real hiding in situations like this.

What I recommend is going and meeting them; checking it out.
We have one here, and while as a singer and musician it interested me, I
wasn't a fan of their sound and couldn't figure out... Still can't; if it
was going to be something I  would enjoy. I've been in many ensembles that
sang all kinds of music from jazz to early Americana type stuff acapella,
but barbershop is different.
Plus, in my case, my local chorus has won awards at the national level, and
neither of us are sold on me and the choreography thing. In high school and
college I was active in drama and musical theatre and was also in several
show choirs and I know I can learn and do choreography; I'm just not sure I
want it enough to bother. :D

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Amy Billman
Email: