[musictlk] Nonvisual Alternatives for Mirror Checks?

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Thu May 26 23:05:50 UTC 2016

Dani:

Welcome to the list! I look forward to talking music with you as we continue our discussions. To check diaphragm expansion when I sing, I put one or both hands in the middle of my stomach, where my diaphragm is located. If I'm breathing properly, I will feel my diaphragm expanding as my hand stays in place. If I don't feel this, I want to sit or stand straighter and take a deep breath through my nose. If you're taking voice lessons, you might ask your teacher (if you feel comfortable with it) to put his/her and on your rib cage as you sing in the manner I'm describing. They may be able to advise you on indicators you can feel while you're practicing. I would be happy to talk with you further about breathing technique and how it can be checked in on visually off list if you would like.

Hope this helps,

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone