[musictlk] Nonvisual Alternatives for Mirror Checks?

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Thu May 26 22:24:04 UTC 2016

Hi Dani,

Welcome.  I am a vocal coast/soloist, and I'll try to help you
here.  If you want more from me, please contact me off list.

Put your hand or hands where you need to check.  One hand on your
chest will help you to know if it's collapsing.  At the same
time, put the other hand on your abdomen to determine that it and
your chest are going in the opposite direction as you breath in
and out.  When you inhale, the abdomen goes out because your
diaphragm is flattening, and pushing everything beneath down.  As
you exhale, the abdomen will go in, and the chest should stay up.

Both hands on your hips with the thumbs facing forward and the
other four fingers behind will help you determine whether or not
you are involving the small of your back.  As you sing,
especially as you sing higher notes, press the small of your back
against those eight fingers.  Feel as if you're going to sit down
as you sing higher.  In fact, bend your knees and sit slightly so
you're sure you're keeping the small of your back wide.

If you need to check your face, you can put tape on zr eyebrows
and upper lip.  Be careful as you take it off, however.

Blessings,

Linda
 mentink at frontiernet.net