[musictlk] More questions about the autoharp

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jul 8 15:16:37 UTC 2017

Tara,

It is a little hard to know what to explain without knowing how familiar you
are with chords, but here goes.  On all of the autoharps I have seen, chords
are organized in a way to make their use easier with common musical chord
progressions.  Usually, the buttons are arranged in rows and columns with
perhaps three or four buttons in each column.  This can vary depending upon
the model of the autoharp.  If you have a good musical ear, you can figure
out what each does, but if you can't you'll need to ask someone to at least
read one column so that you know what each chord is.

When I say that chords are arranged according to common musical
progressions, I mean that from the C chord, moving to the next chord in one
direction you will find the G chord and the other direction will be the F
chord.

Within each column of buttons will be variations on the particular chord you
are playing.  Most commonly you will use the major chord, but there will
likely at least be a minor version and a "seventh" version.  There could be
other variations as well, but these are the most common.

Knowing what of the above makes sense to you is important before saying any
more.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson