[MusicTlk] Beginner Piano - seeking lead sheet for Christmas Carols

Mike Jolls mrspock56 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:30:41 UTC 2018

Hi Robert   …. LTNS from Mike Jolls

So, you’re venturing into the piano world?  Kudos to you.  There’s certainly a lot to know and learn with respect to the piano, and anybody who takes on the beast should be congratulated.

To answer your question, I don’t have any sources where you can find music.  But when I saw your name, I thought I’d take the opportunity to connect and see how you’re doing.

Concerning You-Tube videos, I have to totally agree that these videos, while they can be helpful, DO NOT give all the details on playing piano.  There are so many facets of the instrument that you would be served better by taking private instruction, rather than trying to learn by YouTube.  With Skype today, you MIGHT be able to do remote learning, but even with that, there’s no substitute for having a teacher sitting next to you to show you what is correct.  Plus, having seen many videos, the quality of what you get on the videos vary.  You’re better off finding a good private instructor, especially when you have questions.  If there’s a specific technique I’m working on, I might look at a YouTube video, but even then, I save it for the lesson and then ask my teacher.

In case you’re wondering, I’m taking piano.  I already knew how to play the guitar, but piano is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and couldn’t do it while I was working (my practice sessions at home are usually 2 ½ to 3 hours long each day, and there’s no way I could have taken that time given the workload I had with my job).  I have found a wonderful teacher here in St. louis who teaches blind students.  He’s helping me learn to play by feel, something which is amazing.  I have simply struck gold in finding him.  I’ve been taking lessons for about 2 ½ years, and with him for 6 months.  I’ve learned Scott Joplin’s Maple Leaf Rag and Chopin’s Nocturne #9 in E flat major.  These were very challenging to say the least.  It took me probably 4 months of hard, dedicated work to for each one.  My teacher was very encouraging and together we tamed these beasts.  As I say, he’s worth his weight in gold and I’m hanging on to him.

Now that I’ve been playing with my piano, I see that it is not the best instrument.  Don’t know if I’ll be able to do this, but I want to buy a baby grand.  That’s going to require saving some money, to the tune of $10K - $20K.  Not a cheap proposition to be sure.  That’s the problem when you have a good ear.  You want a good instrument.

Well, that’s what has been going on with me, musically speaking.  If you’d like to relate some more of your musical endeavors, I’m all ears.

So how is the chapter doing?  Are you still in the NFB?  As active as you were, I have to think you are.  You haven’t run for President again, have you?  I’m going to guess Bridgit is still President.  That’s a job not a lot of people wanted to take on.  If you’d like to share what the chapter is doing, I’d like to hear about that too.

Well, I’m running out of things to say.  Time to go finish my practicing.  I’m currently working on Scott Joplin’s Entertainer, and Claude Debussy’s Claire De Lune.  Both of these (once again) are not insignificant tasks.  I’m generally not one to be satisfied with easy things (don’t know if that’s good or bad, but that’s just me).

Drop me a line and let me know how things are going in Omaha.

Mike Jolls