[MusicTlk] Blind people in the marching band

Tara Briggs thflute at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 00:24:17 UTC 2018

Hi all! On another thread we are talking about how blind people are able to participate in school bands. I thought I would make this a little more specific and ask those of you who is been in marching band how did you do it as a blind person? Here’s what I did in case anyone missed it in a previous message. When it came to marching in the parade, I had someone who happens to be on my left although I think either E or woodwork make a clicking sound when we are marching so I could keep up with the band and then when we played I listened to where everybody was. I don’t think I was perfectly in line but it worked all right. When it came to performing in the field shows, I played with the pit. I found out later that there have been lying to people who marched in the field shows. Apparently what some people have done is to tie fishing line on their waist and on the ways of the people on either side of them. When the fishing line is taught they know they’re in the right position. I also think this would probably work when marching in a parade. I heard of one blind drummer who had a guy walk behind him and the guide with just got him by his shoulders since obviously you can’t go cited guide when trying to plan instrument. I’m very curious to know what other tips people have used.
Tara

Sent from my iPhone