[MusicTlk] learning to play harp

Jessica Raichle jdraichle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:17:58 UTC 2018

Hi Eden:
     I do play harp and I am totally blind.  If at all possible, I would
highly recommend a teacher as the hand positioning is very specific to the
harp and no other instrument that I can think of.  As Ella said, unless
you're doing glissandos, you do pluck the strings with your fingers.  Don't
be afraid to mess around; one nice thing about the harp is it is pretty
difficult to "sound bad"!!! Depending on how much time you spend, you will
get caluses, but I've never had them interfere with reading Braille; start
out very small and the caluses won't be as bad.  If you have any other
questions, email me at
jdraichle at gmail.com

Hope this helps!
Sincerely,